It has been about five years since we moved in, but I had never quite finished our master bedroom design. I was always prioritizing other things and it sort of just got left behind. I am currently testing out the Reverie Adjustable Sleep System (my review will be up this week!), and getting a new bed gave me just the push I needed to spruce up my room.
My personal style is a mix of laid-back and ultra glam, most probably stemming from my California upbringing, I don’t like things that are too stuffy or ‘done’ looking. So for the bedding I went with a washed linen duvet set in an earthy natural tone. It is also very light and airy so it is perfect for summer. Throughout the space I have mixed materials like metals, wood tones, and fabric. At the same time I love luxe touches like brass, marble, and beautiful art and florals, which I added with the chandelier, table lamps, and decor items. Scroll down to see more, and all the way down to see the before!
- Art – I personally love framed art prints, and this limited edition print caught my eye and was the basis for the new color scheme. An easy DIY I also like to do to save a few bucks on art is to buy my own frames from ikea or west elm, and frame pictures I take from pages of books and calendars, or even my own photos printed out.
- Rug – I moved this rug from our living room when we bought a new rug for that room. I love how it anchors the space and makes the room look more cozy. Rug tip: be sure to have at least two legs of furniture on a rug, my preference is to have all furniture on the rug.
- Table Lamps – I liked how these nightstand lamps gave the room additional symmetry and a minimal vibe. Tip: for a more eclectic look, use two different lamps, or mount one lamp to the wall.
- Velvet Pillows | Center pillow on bed and pillows on sofa from Homegoods | Maybe the most obvious on this list, but I have to include because I LOVE changing out pillows for a new look. I’ll swap living room pillows in bedrooms, really the possibilities are endless. I love how the velvet and beaded throw pillows add a luxe vibe to my washed linen duvet set.
- Throw – Every bed should have a throw blanket in my opinion. It is functional and it helps creates that covetable layered look. Mine adds a touch of Moroccan flare to my otherwise neutral room.
- Chandelier – We used to have a fan that we never used, and I’ve been wanting this light fixture for such a long time I finally found the perfect place to put it. It adds such a cool artistic touch to the room, and works well with the boho glam theme I have in my house.
- Duvet Set – The natural washed feel of the linens make the bed so inviting. I also wanted to make sure to have a bed that was really plush and soft, so I bought a new extra fluffy comforter to insert inside. This duvet set has ties inside to grab the corners of the comforter – which is absolutely necessary – there is nothing that annoys me more than when its all bunched up on one side of the duvet.
- Nightstands– We needed some drawers because our old nightstands were overflowing with remotes, chargers, books, etc. However, I still wanted to keep the space open and airy, so I avoided bulky options in favor of these nightstands which have just enough room for our things, and a cool mid-century vibe that I love.
- Coffee Table |Sofa – things we already had in our room that I loved and wanted to incorporate in the design.
Here is what it looked like before:
What do you think? I would love to hear your thoughts!