It has been about five years since we moved in, but I had never quite finished our master bedroom design. I was always prioritizing other things and it sort of just got left behind. I am currently testing out the Reverie Adjustable Sleep System (my review will be up this week!), and getting a new bed gave me just the push I needed to spruce up my room.
My personal style is a mix of laid-back and ultra-glam, most probably stemming from my California upbringing, I don’t like things that are too stuffy or ‘done’ looking. So for the bedding, I went with a washed linen duvet set in an earthy natural tone. It is also very light and airy so it is perfect for summer. Throughout the space, I have mixed materials like metals, wood tones, and fabric. At the same time, I love luxe touches like brass, marble, and beautiful art and florals, which I added with the chandelier, table lamps, and decor items. I’m really happy with this room now, however, one of my friends did mention that I should look into getting a neon sign to add some different colors into the room. She said that those neon signs can be personalized and any message can be written on them. She got hers from Neon Mama and she seems to love it. That would probably look nice, maybe I’ll consider it. Scroll down to see more, and all the way down to see the before!
- Art – I personally love framed art prints, and this limited edition print caught my eye and was the basis for the new color scheme. An easy DIY I also like to do to save a few bucks on art is to buy my own frames from ikea or west elm, and frame pictures I take from pages of books and calendars, or even my own photos printed out.
- Rug – I moved this rug from our living room when we bought a new rug for that room. I love how it anchors the space and makes the room look more cozy. Rug tip: be sure to have at least two legs of furniture on a rug, my preference is to have all furniture on the rug.
- Table Lamps – I liked how these nightstand lamps gave the room additional symmetry and a minimal vibe. Tip: for a more eclectic look, use two different lamps, or mount one lamp to the wall.
- Velvet Pillows | Center pillow on bed and pillows on sofa from Homegoods | Maybe the most obvious on this list, but I have to include because I LOVE changing out pillows for a new look. I’ll swap living room pillows in bedrooms, really the possibilities are endless. I love how the velvet and beaded throw pillows add a luxe vibe to my washed linen duvet set.
- Throw – Every bed should have a throw blanket in my opinion. It is functional and it helps creates that covetable layered look. Mine adds a touch of Moroccan flare to my otherwise neutral room.
- Chandelier – We used to have a fan that we never used, and I’ve been wanting this light fixture for such a long time I finally found the perfect place to put it. It adds such a cool artistic touch to the room, and works well with the boho glam theme I have in my house.
- Duvet Set – The natural washed feel of the linens make the bed so inviting. I also wanted to make sure to have a bed that was really plush and soft, so I bought a new extra fluffy comforter to insert inside. This duvet set has ties inside to grab the corners of the comforter – which is absolutely necessary – there is nothing that annoys me more than when its all bunched up on one side of the duvet. I’m thinking about getting a new mattress in the future too, and there are so many sites out there, like Sleepify.co, with information about the best mattresses, no matter what your preference!
- Nightstands– We needed some drawers because our old nightstands were overflowing with remotes, chargers, books, etc. However, I still wanted to keep the space open and airy, so I avoided bulky options in favor of these nightstands which have just enough room for our things, and a cool mid-century vibe that I love.
- Coffee Table |Sofa – things we already had in our room that I loved and wanted to incorporate in the design.
Here is what it looked like before:
What do you think? I would love to hear your thoughts!