Outfit Formulas I Swear By
1. Ruffled midi dress + Oversized jacket + Flats I love to pair a very feminine looking dress like this ruffled polka dot high-low hem one by Alice and Olivia (which I scored for a steal over at Luxury Garage Sale), with an oversized destroyed denim jacket. It tones down the preciousness of the ruffles, and it will keep me warm on cool evenings well into Autumn. I also prefer to wear this with flats, very low heels, or even sneakers instead of high heels. In this instance, that is what makes the whole thing look ‘effortless’.
2. Denim Skirt + Sneakers + Button Down – A midi or long denim skirt is one of my favorite Fall go-to’s. When the chill picks up I like to wear an oversized sweater tucked in to the front just a bit – (a French Tuck for my Tan France fans). For now, I like to wear it with a button down tied at the waist to accentuate the high waist fit. I’m obsessed with all things yellow, mustard, ochre, rust, orange, and all shades in that color spectrum right now. Also, I’ve owned these Adidas sneakers in many colorways over the years and they are just an easy everyday shoe to wear. I have said over and over again I wouldn’t be jumping on the ‘dad shoe’ sneaker trend but I did see a friend wearing these and I have to say I might possibly be persuaded. Lesson: never say never.
3. Menswear Blazer + High-waist Denim + Tee – Ok this blazer has been a staple in my closet for a couple of years now. I will forever love the look of a menswear blazer with jeans and a tee. My most worn jeans for the past year are these Levi’s pair, they are high waist with a straight leg so wearing them with a heel will keep you having legs for days. I like investing in great staples, so this Cuyana tee is on my must-have list.
4. Black Skinny Jeans + Tee + Heels – When I find a great pair of heels like these polka dotted mules, I like to keep the rest of the outfit really simple. These Madewell skinny jeans are amah-zing because with my long torso, I have the hardest time finding truly high waist pants. To make the outfit *pop* just a little I am wearing this gorgeous striped sweater by Thacker NYC draped over my shoulders for day, and layered over my tee for evening.
5. Leopard Skirt + Graphic Tee + Oxfords – Leopard print will always have my heart, and in case you haven’t noticed, it is having a moment right now too. Wearing a graphic tee makes the skirt look a little less prim and proper,(side note: Peut Etre means ‘Perhaps’ in French), and folding up short sleeves is one of my favorite styling tricks. Oxford style shoes are a little unexpected here, but I believe adding that touch of menswear in an otherwise very ‘feminine’ look is really always a winning combination.